Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival Washout

Mid-Autumn Festival (Tet Trung Thu) was yesterday. We tried to go and see the festivities, particularly in the Old Quarter, but none was to be had. We even charged up the batteries for the digicam the night before.

Alas, Francisco, the storm, dashed everyone's plans. The damp streets were pretty bare and they even had to cancel the flying kites performance at My Dinh stadium. Oh, well, at least I had some moon cakes the previous weeks.

I've always liked moon cakes, the ones with the nuts the most, since a child. When I got older and realized how much they cost ($5 and up, each), I liked them even more, 'cause they mostly came to me via gifts.

Had a couple of moon cakes here - tasted fine, but I was surprised by the cost. They were $2.50 and up, with the decent ones at least $3. And this is for the supermarket brands, not the proprietary versions sold by the various high end hotels and restaurants.

They are mostly bought as gifts, so perhaps that's why the market can bear such prices.

No comments: