Monday, June 18, 2007

Making Ice Cream

I normally eat my fair share of ice cream, but with the heat here I eat more than usual. Problem is, with summer comes power cuts. That means my stash in the fridge melts and refreezes. So unopened ice cream pops become freezer burned like the tops of half eaten Haagen Dazs. That was always my excuse for finishing those pints in one sitting.

Instead of storing some freezer burned ice cream, perhaps I could make my own. This is courtesy of Kids Domain, thru the geek webzine Life Hacker. Pasting the info here in case the page gets deleted in the future. (btw, 'freezer burned' ice works fine for the below)

Ice Cream in a BagCopyright © 1999 Dorothy LaFara, auntannie.com

Here is a fun idea for a hot summer day. My kids love it!

Note: As in all recipes, results can vary depending on humidity, conditions, etc. Please try any recipe out before attempting in a group setting.

This project is rated VERY EASY to do.

What You Need

  • 1 tablespoon Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Milk or half & half
  • 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 6 tablespoons Rock salt
  • 1 pint-size Ziploc plastic bag
  • 1 gallon-size Ziploc plastic bag
  • ice cubes
How To Make It

  1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
  2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
  3. Place the small bag inside the large one and seal again carefully.
  4. Shake until mixture is ice cream, about 5 minutes.
  5. Wipe off top of small bag, then open carefully and enjoy!

No comments: