Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mentally packing our things

So with this decision to move overseas in about 4 months - man, that'll come up quick - we started to fret about how in the world we'll pack up the house and our things for the move.

A quick search of USPS, UPS and FedEx shows that shipping personal belongs won't make sense. A normal 5x5x5 box is $300 or so. International movers shipping one's stuff on a slow boat to China charge $11.00 per cubic foot. Yeah, that's not gonna work either.

So we'll just have to resign ourselves to 2 pieces of luggage and one carry-on, each. For me, that'll mean my clubs and one valise of clothing. VA will take one full of clothes and the other full of Stateside foods that she thinks she'll miss, along with some nice knives or something (whatever I can sneak into her luggage). My Magnepan speakers gotta stay, I guess. She'll also possibly want to bring the viola along.

We'll bring the electronics on the carry-on, load CDs onto the laptop or a ext. HD and consider buying another laptop, because from my limited research, electronics are significantly more expensive over there. Those new MacBook laptops look nice, but I'm not sure I'm ready to convert to the hippie side of the digital divide.

No comments: