Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Laundry Laments

Was packing recently for a trip back to the States. Made sure to pack
a few small gifts for family, but these days they've had their fill of
made-in-China but sold in Vietnam goods.

I also made sure to pack my dirty laundry.

When we were in Hanoi, we did our own laundry, with a dryer to boot.
Save for the lack of hot water, clothes came out of the Japanese sized
top load washers pretty decently. Anything that didn't come out that
clean could be pretreated for a second go around.

The biggest laundry hassle then was making sure your clean clothes
didn't touch any surface of the dusty balcony - on its transfer from
washer to dryer to laundry basket. It was Hanoi; every exrerior
exposed surface got dusty in mere hours.

Down here, things are a bit different. I have someone do my laundry
every day, as part of my housing arrangement. You would assume I would
appreciate this more. But of course I don't.

Besides doing a bad ironing job, my clothes do not come out clean. I
don't know if it is because they are sloppy, lack of detergent, or
maybe they hang it outside in the dirty air to dry. I've given up
trying to figure it out.

I'm just packing all the laundry I can so I can give them a good
washing at home.

No comments: